Saturday 3 March 2018

MARCH 2nd BLIZZARD - DAY TWO

Some photos of 2 very long days of the blizzard which arrived 3 days ago. Yesterday was the third day of biting winds but no snow falling. Today, Saturday,  we are trying to recover!  Goodness!  It certainly makes one mindful of what it must have been like in the days before electricity, gas, cars, supermarkets and the like!

We were prepared with food and fuel as the weather forecasts were very good and the warnings were insistent!  Most ordinary folk just stayed in and hunkered down.  Schools and nurseries closed, shops shut.   The news reports of full of images of jack-knifed trucks and vans in the ditch along with heroic rescues and accident-avoidance videos.  Yes, there are as many stories of folk helping each other too.

I went out on Day 2 to walk to Mairi's house (CVD) to give her a day of Creche Duty.  This is my trip... which is nothing compared to John's trip to work. He walked for 2 hours to his GP Surgery on both days of the really bad weather.

The view out my window in the morning. Gerry across the street had a van he uses for mobility scooters plus his wife's car to dig out.

The only way to walk was down the middle of the street in the wheel tracks.  It was a case of 2 minutes of sun combined with 10 minutes of snow blasting in from the steppes of Russia! I knew that once I got down the hill to the main road I would be OK.

Success. With head down, I just joined other folk walking in the middle of the road.  No cars at all. One plow was out and an ambulance went by.

Approaching CVD house from Kilmardinny Avenue. I felt like Scott of the Antarctic trying to get to his hut!

Mairi's fence with Sandy and Lesley's house beyond.

 I made it ... the front door!


 Snowy boys arriving after me. (Alastair MacG and Alastair A)

My creche duty over I got the boots on again and headed home. The snow come and went all day. The children and I watched the continuous snow flurries and biting wind out the living room window all day ... quite unbelievable!  Street, gardens, driveways, shop fronts. bus shelters all got more and more covered with drifting snow!

Photos of the 2 Munchkins at play coming next post.

 

No comments: