Tuesday 6 January 2015

CLYDESDALE BANK 'CHAPS' MONEY TRANSFER CHARGE

This is about bank charges or, more accurately, it is a tale to impart information about a particular  bank charge that is hard to find out about on the internet.


As they say in Glasgow, "to let you understand" ... I went into our local Clydesdale bank, the one where we have an account, and requested to transfer some money (£50) to the account in ... not the Clydesdale bank (this is important) ... but different bank, i.e. the Bank of Scotland.  (Now I could have sent a cheque or, if I had an online account set up I could have done the payment on line but, as it happened, I agreed to do a bank transfer having been given the recipient's bank account number and sort code.)  

I thought walking into the bank and simply asking the teller to do the transaction would be simple. I got a shock when the teller told me how much it would cost ... £24.00!!!

The money transfer arrangement is called "CHAPS which is an acronym for Clearing House Automated Payment System. CHAPS is a British company established in London in 1984, which offers same-day sterling fund transfers." [Source: Wikipedia which explains it rather well.  There is nothing on the Clydesdale bank website.]

Clydesdale Bank website here


I walked out of the bank, dumbfounded!  Actually on the way out I bumped into the Security Officer coming in the door who answered my question to the teller "What does CHAPS mean?"  (She didn't know....)

The outcome:  I walked to the other end of the village to the Bank of Scotland and simply did the transaction over the counter with the teller there.


______________________________________________________

Gargoyle is my photo taken of St Mahew R.C. Church, Main Road, Cardross, G82 5NY.
Piggy photo is Harriet's piggy.




No comments: