Sunday 13 April 2014

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

Does a name make a difference?  Does a rose by any other name smell as sweet?


Yes.  I wish to put a case that it does make a difference. Here is an example:

This logo above belongs to a website that registers domain names.  One has to pay and in doing so one gets an email address that can be used on the internet. (Oops ... that's a tautology: where else would one use an email address....?)

Anyhow I have been on a very steep learning curve this past week: my email stopped working.  It turns out that my payment for its use had expired.  Fair 'nuff. However I did not pick up this fact until many, many hours of trying to figure out the problem.  The good news is that I learned a lot about computers in the process; the bad news is that it took me ages to get to the bottom of the problem.  (I am of the School of Thought: 'I am going to sit here til I figure it out'.)

What happened was that this domain registration company based in the States had sent me an email about the expiration date but it had gone into my Junk Mailbox (not unreasonably with a name like that!) Secondly I did not recognize the name at all so even then did not act, and thirdly, once I did act the bank fraud people were on to me about my payment.  Again, quite understandably.

I am now sorted (with the help of Alastair).  I rest my case.



No comments: