Monday 6 December 2010

LOCAL HEROES

Today the weather was quite bad. As much snow fell from 8 am - 3 pm as fell all last week. I was free to offer to be on standby for Mairi should John not make it back from work and/or she not make it to work at mid-day. Living 5 blocks away I knew I could walk the distance.

This was the picture at 10 am as I walked along Milngavie Road towards Mairi's house. The traffic was at at a standstill. The snow was falling in huge flakes. The only people making any progress were those of us on foot.

My route takes me by Joe's shop at the bottom of Mosshead Road (at Milngavie Road). I took this photo the other morning as the sun caught the top of the doorway. This shop is a beacon on a cold day or a dark night when you come home after being out all day. It is a typical corner store but also serves carry-out coffee and filled rolls. These folk and others like them deserve a medal. They serve the community from early morning when Joe goes to the market to 6 pm when Dot or Colin are finishing up for the day. The place is always busy with builders, care workers, police - you name it - all parking on the double yellow lines outside the shop while they pop in for their daily breakfast/paper/provisions.

The deck outside Mairi's dining room door. The kids played outside for a bit but found the depth of snow a bit daunting! I decided they were too young to learn how to make angels or play Fox Chases the Chicken!

The playhouse and swing were blanketed in show. As we tramped around the garden great lumps of snow fell from the adjacent hedge!

Finally, at 3:30 pm I headed back the same way I came in the morning. The Burnbrae Hotel* gets full marks for having the hotel at the back, the car park and the pub all plowed by a local farmer and 2 big fellows were out there clearing the entrances and steps. I reckon Iain and I could do worse than head down there for a meal or a pint tonight.

I tramped home successfully. The roads were still covered in snow and cars were abandoned all along the sides of main and side streets. I ended up having a very welcome cup of tea and my first mince pie next door with my lovely neighbours who are about to head off to Teneriffe for a winter break!

___________________________________________________________
* This is a good place to stay when visiting anyone on the north side of Glasgow. Their website is here. They are part of the Premier Lodge group (mid-market hotel accommodation).

No comments: