Saturday 9 October 2010

AMBIENT WORKING CONDITIONS

The young lads who turn up to work always come prepared. Tools? Yes... Lunch? Well, there's a MacDonald's within walking distance. Audio kit? Definitely!

Today our young tiler arrived to put the kitchen tiles on the wall. Here, he has put in place the picture, painted by Alison Borthwick of Buchlyvie from a scene (Torridon) that Iain gave her, that goes above the kitchen sink area.


However, what caught my eye was this lad's iPhone. First things first, having cleared the sink area, he sets it up on the counter.



Now I like that bit of kit ... a lot! He downloads the Smooth Radio app from the internet and simply docks it in this speaker set up. Santa: I want one of those! (Also, I have been buying a few apps this week for the first time so I keen to talk shop with these young techies - more on this anon.)



A couple of weeks ago I was alone in the house and yet I could hear a pop radio programme going upstairs when another lad was plastering. After a couple of hours I could stand the 'music' no longer and went against my rule of not scaling the ladder (especially on my own in the house) and carefully ventured upstairs to search for the blaring radio with intention of, not throwing it the window, but at least turning it off!

Having negotiated the ladder successfully I searched each room and could find no tranny on the window ledge nor perched on an upturned pail on the floor. Eventually the sound lead me to this bit of kit! Every workman's essential equipment - a ghetto blaster!

No comments: