Thursday 9 September 2010

ST KILDA

Members of the Clyde Cruising Club have been away on the Club's Centenary Cruise this summer. Photos are starting to come in of their musters and meanderings. I am editor of the Club newsletter so this material comes across my desk. (I have permission to put these photos on the web.)

Here are some photos of Barrie Waugh's which he took this summer. He sailed to St Kilda which is a group of islands off the west coast of Scotland shown in the map below.




It is actually a group of islands sticking up out of the water like this. This is Stac Lee. I think this is a fabulous shot. I sit here in my warm room looking at that cold, cold ocean and am mighty glad I am not out there! And that is in the good weather!

Leaving Boreray

Dun Hirta, St Kilda

Above Village Bay look down into the bay.

Everyone who has visited there thinks it is a most wonderful place! Yes, it is rugged and sits in splendid isolation. I have to admit that "splendid" is a word I would not use about St Kilda. I found it bristling with military attennae (which you never see in the chocolate box photos); its history is grim and so very sad.

So thank you Barrie for the photos. You capture the atmosphere exactly!




No comments: